Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tiny Spaces (part 1)

 I am a big fan of the Tiny House Movement. There are a number of great blogs out there devoted to the tiny house. Here are just a few that I have come across: 1 2 3 & 4


 Charleston seems to be ahead of the curve on this movement though. There are so many adorable small homes & businesses to be found in this city.


 It would literally take forever to document all of them, there are so many. 


But I have been enjoying taking photos of the ones that I happen to pass.


And it turns out I already have quite a collection.




I especially love the ones with a second story. They are so tiny it is hard to imagine how they have fit in a staircase.





 These long low dwellings, which are not but one room wide, are very typical country cottages in the South.


There are also the ones that go straight back & are often called shotgun houses, because you could fire a shotgun straight through them.


But most are called Freedman's Cottages & were believed to have been built after the civil war for freed slaves to live in.


I especially love this tiny two story house tucked in between much larger & grander homes in the heart of downtown Charleston.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely!! I love them too. The last one is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME TOO! a fan!
    i follow them on facebook,
    gives so much great inspiration of alternative ways of living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and so colorful… like cupcakes! warm greetings from not longer white Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, they're great! I remember when we lived in the States I used to watch HGTV's Design Star. On one season their final challenge was to design a tiny home, it was really interesting to see how they did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is it about small spaces- they are a fascination!
    And looks like you've got quite a few to ogle over right in your neighborhood :)

    ReplyDelete